Associate Degree - Hybrid (Online & On-Campus)
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Rockford Career College’s Academic Associate of Applied Science Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography program prepares students to become competent sonographers in the general ultrasound concentration. Graduates of the program will acquire entry-level cognitive, psychomotor and affective skills to perform quality diagnostic ultrasound examinations required of a general sonographer on the abdomen, pregnant and non-pregnant pelvis, fetal structures and fetal measurements, superficial structures and segments of the vascular system.
- Knowledge and understanding of human gross and sectional anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology and recognition of normal and abnormal sonographic appearances.
- Knowledge, understanding and clinical application of acoustical physics, Doppler principles and ultrasound instrumentation in optimizing ultrasound examinations.
- Knowledge and understanding of ultrasound and tissue interactions and the probability of biological effects.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of a sonographer in performing interventional/invasive procedures.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program – Abdomen Extended and – Obstetrics Gynecology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS)
- Delivery Method: Hybrid
- Program Length: 19 months
- Credits: 112
- Physician Offices
- Medical Clinics
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs in Illinois for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers is expected to increase by 15% between 2021 and 2031.1
What You Will Learn
- Perform general sonography on the abdomen, superficial structures and segments of the vascular system.
- Conduct diagnostic sonographic examination of pregnant and non-pregnant pelvis, fetal structures and fetal measurements.
- General education course work to meet the requirements of an associate degree.
The Rockford Career College Advantage
Rockford Career College is a distinguished institution that prioritizes career-focused education, equipping students with practical skills and real-world experience in their desired fields. What sets Rockford Career College apart is its unwavering commitment to preparing students for success in the workforce.
- Programs: Choose from a diverse range of programs in animal sciences, healthcare, business, cannabis, and skilled trades. Our programs are meticulously crafted to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in their chosen careers.
- Small Class Sizes: Benefit from personalized attention and support from our instructors, thanks to our small class sizes. This approach ensures a deeper understanding of the subject matter and the ability to apply it to real-world scenarios.
- Multiple Schedule Options: We understand the demands of your life. That's why we offer on-campus, hybrid, and fully online diploma and degree programs that provide the flexibility you need to accommodate your lifestyle.
- Experienced Faculty: Learn from industry professionals who bring extensive experience and expertise to the classroom. Our faculty members provide invaluable real-world insights and connections to enhance your learning journey.
- Hands-on Training: Gain practical skills through hands-on training in state-of-the-art labs and clinical settings. Apply what you learn in the classroom to real-world situations, enhancing your confidence and readiness for your future career.
WHY CHOOSE RCC
- On-Campus & Online Options
- 20+ Career-Focused Programs
- Hands-On & Real World Training
- Inclusive Small Class Sizes
- Caring Instructors
- Student-Centered Experience
- Tutoring & Personalized Support
- Financial Aid for Those Who Qualify
- Externship Opportunities
- Career Placement Assistance & dedicated career services team
- RCC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
"Remember your why – why did you start at RCC? My why was to do better for myself and my family."
2022 Graduate, Medical Assistant
1 https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/29-2032.00?st=IL, retrieved 5/31/2023.
Diagnostic Medical Sonography -- Class of 2021